Wednesday, March 23, 2005

you want to make a movie of the fish!


tomorrow i'll tell you the tale of sake & champloo. (New Brunswick, 3/2005)

for now, all i can say is: tell me that's the Staten Island Ferry capsizing.
what am i talking about?
War of the Worlds, baby. um, lessee. ahem: "in the first years of the twenty-first century, no one would have believed that we were being scrutinized, as someone with a microscope studies creatures that swarm & multiply in a drop of water...& yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes, & slowly, & surely, they drew their plans against us."
HG Wells, sort of. a bit updated, & from memory, anyway, & my memory is severely influenced by the psychedelic-rock-opera version of the 70s. (it was a favorite of my daddy's, & i was a strange kid. still a strange kid. woman. whatever.)
anyway, the new movie trailer gives me the shivers.

as does this behind-the-scenes featurette for Sin City. i'm so there.

& i've just heard about this movie, & i'm not sure what it's about, entirely (seems vaguely Brazil in nature, if not so weird) but Ewan McGregor & Scarlet Johansson? i'll take the lot.

also the new promo pic for Batman Begins.

& Finding Neverland's out on DVD.


t's chess, Staten Island 3/2005
checkmate!

so there.

8 little fish:

Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

I think The Island looks like it might be an interesting movie....I'm tempering my enthusiasm however due to rememberance that Michael Bay did produce Armageddon and Pearl Harbor (both collosal stinkers in my opinion).

Picked up Finding Neverland yesterday. Looking forward to seeing it again. Looks like its pretty sparse on extras which is kind of disappointing.

As a companion to Finding Neverland I recommend reading the following article. It really added an extra dimension to the movie experience:

http://www.endicott-studio.com/rdrm/rrPeterPan1.html

10:36 AM  
Blogger phylos swam up to say...

Parents have a lot to answer for when it comes to musical tastes. I know all the words to every single Carpenters song thanks to my dad.
But I also have a deep love of The Beatles and The Beach Boys, so it's swings & roundabouts.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Docfrost swam up to say...

First thing, thanks for the post on my blog.

The Island sure seems interesting. Atleast the premise of the story is interesting. Lets hope they dont screw it up like so many other films. The good thing is it has Steve Buscemi, or maybe thats a bad thing to some people.

Cant wait for Sin City as well.

Docfrost

2:05 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

the thing is, all those record my parents listened to have actually attached themselves to my taste. not three months ago i was commuting to work listening to WotW at painful volumes. & loving it.

yes, i know, i look like an idiot when i'm driving.

2:26 PM  
Blogger phylos swam up to say...

Is it even very loosely based on Aldous Huxley's Island? I'll weep if it is.

2:36 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

rumours of that sort have been circulating. actually Island is one of the few Huxleys i haven't read.

it hadn't even occurred to me when i posted this. i share your trepidation.

2:46 PM  
Blogger STAG swam up to say...

I believe Wells had it in the first years of the "20th" century.

10:15 AM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

well, no, he had the last years of the 19th century.
the movie adaptation however is obviously roundabout now.

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home