Wednesday, April 27, 2005

catalog of fish

i never seem to have enough time these days. so i'm going to slip into L-space for a moment, wherein lies all the time i need--if i remember to bring a banana.

though i still don't have time to make sense, so you'll have to bear with me through these teetering stacks of randomness as i do a little fishing amongst all these windows i've been hanging on to. then later today perhaps i can get to the interchangeable Emmas & really get down to bitching about my new job.

volume 1: travel in time & space
this photo gallery will whisk you off to Palestine in the early 20th century. your safety is not guaranteed.

volume 2: the movement of the stars
create a sky chart for wheresoever you may be in the universe

volume 3: how to be an illegal alien in NY
according to mimi. do not try this at home.

volume 4: the fantasies of children
Neil Gaiman on C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkein, & G.K. Chesterton.

volume 5: the secret songs of llamas
if i could remember the origin of this, i would credit it, i swear. but i can't, so i'll take all the credit. have a banana.

volume 6: 101 ways to make fun of your government
if you'd like to see George Bush on hiphop, you'll like this.

volume 7: how to be a successful jerk
proof that Donald Rumsfeld is a dick. i will warn you, it was partly my wanderings about on the DoD's website that so infuriated me the other day.

volume 8: gods & monsters
no, not the film with Ian McKellan. the first chapter of Neil Gaiman's new book.

volume 9: howl
miyazaki (of Nausicaa & Spirited Away fame) has a new movie coming out. thank god for small graces. if it weren't for the glorious state of media at the moment, i'd be out of my gourd.

volume 10: the Hitchhiker's Guide to cinema
in case you can't wait till friday, or are having doubts as to the quality of the flick, herein lies all the film clips you need to get you through the week.

volume 23: the things celebreties do that normal people can't
Elton John's getting married.

volume 42: those crazy scientists
they want to redefine the kilogram.

volume 99: how to silence a right-winger
bizarre bible quotes to throw at anyone thumping at you.

flip through these, my friends, while i keep the Librarian distracted. i'm pretty sure i found him in a bar last weekend...



ooooook.

11 little fish:

Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

eeeeeeeeeee hehehehehehehe

12:06 PM  
Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

I loved the Gaiman speech...he has such a way of expressing the thoughts and feelings that I, and I suspect many others, have in regards to the impact of books on our lives. I especially loved the quote "that the majesty and the magic of belief and dreams could be a vital part of life and of writing"...it is so, so true. I've been thinking a great deal lately about why I reread certain books and he states it so well in his explanation of why he reread the Narnia books. I think those magical books can be so few and far in between that I often go back to those that have become a part of me.

In reference to the first part of Anansi Boys I just can't bring myself to read the portion that Gaiman has made available...to me it feels like cheating somehow...my comic book guy, Jeff, has made fun of me for this, especially being the Gaiman fanatic that I am. :)

I haven't watched Nausicca...is it as good as Spirited Away?

4:05 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

Nausicaa!!!!!

9:26 PM  
Blogger the wheel swam up to say...

That bible quotes site is awesome, especially the section on testicles. Here is another good one, particularly this section on Leviticus.

10:40 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

It actually fun arguing with bible-thumpers when you know your shit.

11:25 AM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

Elton John's marraige makes me happy, but then so does this:
Laws recognizing homosexual civil partnerships come into effect in Britain in December

It's about damn time.

12:14 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

yes indeed. that, in a convoluted sort of way, was my point.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

Actually though you need to know more than just random quotes to truly argue the Bible....if you don't know the historical context, textual context, etc. then you are really no more prepared than people who use random scriptures to do dumb things like Fred Phelps (the 'God Hates Fags' guy).

Just my 2 cents.

12:51 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

yep carl, i agree, but see i was raised catholic, went to catholic school and church until i was 17 - i love being "saved" by stree-corner preachers and arguing with protesters at marches...

2:53 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

LLAMA SONG! I love it!!!



duck

2:54 PM  
Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

You've got the background! I was raised Catholic as well, and then non-denominational. Went to a Christian school for awhile in jr. high and graduated from a religious university. I'm not big into arguing theology though. Good conversations? Sure! Debates? Naw...its so unproductive, leads to hurt feelings and does nothing to really educate either party.


Now try and tell me that Gaiman isn't an amazing author or rag on Han Solo and you'll have a fight on your hands!!! :)

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home