Sunday, April 10, 2005

in memoriam fish fish fish


me & my father, circa 1983

this Saturday, April 9th, marked the 16th anniversary of my father's death.

to commemorate his wonderful nature i have been celebrating life.
went wandering through woods, forded a stream, photographed a waterfall. hey, guys, Frodo's run off again.
trying to quit smoking (it helped to do my father in--he was 40 when he died with the veins & arteries of an 80 year old man. so foolish when so much else about him was so enlightened.)
Ghejj@#!!*@! (this is me trying to quit smoking)
a D.L.F. ("dear little friend" for those non-nerds about) came & made dinner. it involved sea-bass, some sort of mexican-thai tuna sushi, marscapone & kiwi, & fresh tortilla pizzas with vine tomatoes & smoked mozzarrellllla (which is a word i find it hard to stop spelling.)
watched much anime on a digital projector on the living room wall--about as wide as i am tall.
after all, my father was a creature of imagination (& showed me my first anime: Nausicaa, story detailed elsewhere in the fish--February, i think.)
rearranged my space & growing things too. listened to the Wall. tonight we're building a bonfire on the beach for a friend who's just had his first child. welcome Gwendolyn to the spring of your world. our kindling will be the remnants of the forest glade that i built for the gods party.

i've been drinking champagne for about 24 hours, & i see no reason to stop now.
love you daddy.

salut.


post-script (aka update): the Nausicaa story is here.
gotta go clean house again.

10 little fish:

Blogger the wheel swam up to say...

Adorable! I had blonde hair as a kid too. It gradually became brown over the years (then increasingly thin in recent years. *ahem*).

7:21 PM  
Blogger the wheel swam up to say...

Okay, so now the above comment seems shallow. It was written when you had just the picture up and not the In Memoriam which explained the reason for posting it.

I think it's great that you took the time to observe the occasion. One of my best friends died several years ago right around this time of year. I've kind of stopped observing the day in recent years, but after reading this I feel like I should.

8:21 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

i raise my glass to your dad, jennsee, and to his daughter!

10:48 PM  
Blogger Hannibal swam up to say...

May he rest in peace.I felt really touched by your story. My dad also died 25 years ago and I think I should commomerate his passing away next May.

Hannibal Barca

11:24 PM  
Blogger banzai cat swam up to say...

I think your dad was cool if he would let his daughter watch Nausicaa, a beautifl film.

Cheers!

12:54 AM  
Blogger gatsby swam up to say...

1) i loved that movie as a kid.
2) people with imaginations never die.
3) you seem cool.

1:52 AM  
Blogger forgottenmachine swam up to say...

You breathe new life into him with your words.

And it's already been said, but showed you your first anime? That's a degree of coolness hitherto unheard of!

Gwendolyn is an exquisite name, my heartfelt congratulations.

2:50 AM  
Blogger phylos swam up to say...

Celebrating the life is so much more positive than mourning the death.

Good luck with the whole not smoking thing – it’s a bitch

7:36 AM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

my hair still goes pretty damn blonde when it gets some sunshine, but i definitely don't look that cherubic.

it'd important, i think, to feel for the spirit of a person you're trying to memorialize.
e.g. still haven't written an elegy for my aunt kas yet. maybe i'll be inspired as i'm cleaning her old family home today.

sometimes the closer you are to a person the harder it is to memorialize them. for example, it only took me an hour to write an elegy for Mr. Rogers, & all we ever shared was a birthday.

hmmm. more on this later, maybe. gotta drive the mighty turnpike.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

What a great tribute to your father...sounds like a day well spent in remembrance and celebration. It seems oddly appropriate that you ended the day by celebrating a new life.

I'm sorry your father was taken from you when he was so young but am glad that you have lasting memories and life interests that are a result of his influence in your life.

I send you all my best!

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home