Friday, April 22, 2005

"There are no passengers on Spaceship Earth. We are all crew." ~Marshall McLuhan, 1964


Horseshoe Falls, Niagara, NY


Happy Earth Day, a day we have designated for consideration of our Mother planet, because we don't think of her any other day.

in light of that, i don't know how many of you or how often you fishfollowers check out the school of links swimming about over there
<--------------------------------- but SaveOurEnvironment is a fantastic way to be aware & involved in some small fashion in the environmental struggle, because seriously, folks, we're running out of time, ecologically speaking. if you sign up to their mailing lists they send you alerts about environmental issues in current debates, & they, like True Majority only more specific, make it really easy to send letters to your, ahem, "representatives". i know this works because i've actually gotten responses from my senators & suchlike, which if not really personalized are at least directly responding to my position on whatever issue.

naturally i realize these organizations may be centered on the good ol' States, but i'm sure there are international equivalents.

do something nice for our mother today. please?

postscript: i took the "ecological footprint quiz" on that earth day page, & apparently, if everyone lived like me we'd need 2.9 Earths, & i'm about half as bad as most people around here.

post-post-script: speaking of destroying the earth, there's a film clip of Hitchhiker's floating out there, if, like me, you really have been planning this for months.

4 little fish:

Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

I'm sure I would find many who would disagree with me but I'm extra appreciative of our good ol' mother today since we went from 80 degree temps to 60's today! Its cloudy and breezy and actually feels like a fall day...something I like very much! I've pulled out my Sarah Brightman CD's and DVD's and have had a wonderful past 24 hrs enjoying the weather! Thank you Mother Earth!

12:43 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

i have been so looking forward to the Hichhicker's Guide movie. I've spent too much time on the site, ect. But I saw a preview on TV last night, one that I hadn't seen before and now I'm very worried... they made it look like an action movie (not that I have anything against action movies in general) but... this looked like a stupid action movie and not at all funny....

I'm scared...

1:50 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

"The Earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual"
-Buckminster Fuller

2:58 PM  
Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

I too hope to not be disappointed with HHG...guess we'll know in a week or so!

2:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home