Friday, June 24, 2005

a fish is born

Thou art thy mother's glass, and she in thee
Calls back the lovely April of her prime.

~William Shakespeare

today is my mother's birthday (i won't tell you what year; my mother is actually ageless) & i know she follows her fish so i thought i'd wish her well here.


my mother in the 70's.

me mum is a singularly beautiful woman with an uncommon reservoir of strength. i'm very fortunate to have an excellent relationship with her; our friendship in genuine & goes beyond mere mother-daughter ties.

besides, i'm so very like her.


my mother in may.

i only wish i could somehow demonstrate to her that she's as beautiful now as she ever was, & she shouldn't worry so much.

happy birthday, mum, i'm sure you know that i hope for many many more.

***

(ahem) "& now for something completely different!"
it's also Ambrose Bierce's birthday, as revealed to me by carl v.


Ambrose Bierce, born June 24, 1842.

so a few quotes from the Devil's Dictionary, one of history's cleverest examples of satire:

Admiration, n. Our polite recognition of another's resemblance to ourselves.

Birth, n. The first and direst of all disasters.

Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.

Yesterday, n. The infancy of youth, the youth of manhood, the entire past of age.

8 little fish:

Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

happy birthday mom!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

Happy birthday ageless Mom-of-Jenn-See!!!

Great Bierce quotes!

3:03 PM  
Blogger the wheel swam up to say...

You mum is incredibly beautiful, now and then. Please tell her that the Skrambled One wishes her a very happy birthday.

PS--Is she single? I seem to have a thing for older women lately ;-)

3:24 PM  
Blogger the wheel swam up to say...

Oh geez. I just checked my comment and noticed that I wrote "you mum". Shoulda been your. Whoops.

6:11 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

's'ok. but now the grammar police know where you live.

6:32 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

i'm sure me mum'll appreciate all the well-wishing, as soon as her computer works again & she sees them.

cheers.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Anonymous Poet swam up to say...

Your mother is beautiful. And you are like her.

10:47 PM  
Blogger DeeM swam up to say...

I'm envious of people who have such strong relationships with their mothers. She is beautiful, her younger picture looks almost exactly like someone I know.
Nice post!

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home