Friday, June 10, 2005

improvisational fish

some context for monkey off the top of my head (delving deeper isn't going to happen this weekend, either.)

when every gap in the bridge expands
to hold the moonlight & drop our seatbelts

when the last dollar decays at the bottom of things
when i am swallowed by starships
i tell you What is the truth

ingenuity: how to look without seeming to look

i had a dream of nanobots
& now they're on the news
i am the news
daisies on the lip of a sinkhole

convention: i held his hand while the jedi died
me & my two dollar shoes

they steal my power a little at a time
mission: a skirt that reveals my knees
& colors that undress me unexpectedly

what color are your geraniums?
what planet is this?


or conversely:

i'm on a quest, i said,
for what we need from these operas of space
these synchronistic cartoons & girls
generated by thin air,
& the minds of boys
like djinn from blue bottles.

convention: i held his hand while the jedi died
me & my two dollar shoes

at that time i was aware
of the future looking back at me,
winking,
muttering like static
"you will wish you had paid attention"

my toes are not safe from sticky theaters
or warheads
or footstools anywhere;
they transform
into bulldogs and destroy my bones
& they will leave bruises
well into the eras of new children.

i'm not interested in your new children,
only dialogue
& a network of glances
& the cross hatch of fingers as i held his hand
as far far away they played & loved &
slaughtered the innocent.


of course since i'd already included jedi, you knew there'd be starships somewhere.

since i'm feeling wordy, i may as well mention this challenge, floating around via banzai cat, dinesh, forgottenmachine, & JP, to name a few. the gauntlet? ahem:

1. Click here and choose any image you like.
2. Compose your piece in less than 15 mins.
3. Post it to your blog.
4. I think for this round it might be interesting to read the piece without seeing the image first, so just provide a link to the image after the piece (note that since the website uses frames, you can get the URL for particular images by hovering over the thumbnails).

i'm probably not going to get to it till later (though in the spirit of the thing i did write the above bits in less than 15 minutes) because i have to go out into the wilds of New Jersey & find something floaty to bedeck myself with.
but i haven't heard from mysfit in a few days...

& i know for certain she's got a poem to go with this image:


the garden of broken glass.

so consider that a personal request.

7 little fish:

Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

you get a medal if you can spot the lines i ripped off.

11:27 AM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

oh - ok - i guess i will bow to your request

1:46 PM  
Blogger Suzanna Danna swam up to say...

trying to spot them you little minx...

2:52 PM  
Blogger Daniel Heath swam up to say...

hm.
hmmmmm.
I'll get back to you on that.

5:58 PM  
Blogger banzai cat swam up to say...

Your poems make me smile.

i had a dream of nanobots
& now they're on the news


at that time i was aware
of the future looking back at me,
winking,
muttering like static
"you will wish you had paid attention"


Heh.

4:32 AM  
Blogger Daniel Heath swam up to say...

yeah, I'm with banzai cat, there are some real keepers in there...

"daisies on the lip of a sinkhole"

when you present a monkey with an object (a stick, say), the monkey will immediately try to take it from you (at least, this has been true with the four or five different monkeys on whom I've tried it out). they assume, I think, that if you've got it, it must be something worth having, and therefore they want it (I have a couple photos of this which are forthcoming). when you let them take it, they run off with it to dissassemble it in private, checking it for any edible or amusing parts.

anyway, I've taken your stick and run off with it. next time I'm stuck for material, I'll take it apart and see if any bits of it are digestible...

2:06 AM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

monkey, you make me smile...

jenn, luv, i think you could put these two together in some way... take them apart and see which parts are digestible and which are without nutrition.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home