Monday, July 11, 2005

persnickety fish

i'm really starting to take issue (for no reason in particular) with those flashy banners & pop-ups that claim "free this!" or "free that!" or "free presents!" or "free sex!" (actually, no, i haven't seen that one.)

it's never really free. it's an old-school barter system thing. you trade your information for...well, useless crap mostly, but that's not the point.

i want flashy banners that say "trade your identity for coupons!" or "trade your demographic & mother's maiden name for a dinner at a blah chain restaurant!" & dammit i mean to have them. if i have to make them myself & trade them in for...i dunno, chocolate-covered strawberries or raffle tickets from the Zion Lutheran church down the street.

14 little fish:

Blogger LiVEwiRe swam up to say...

This made me laugh because I found a particularly tricky one today that would not clear. No matter what I did, it kept coming back. The other thing I found today was one with... come on, say it with me... spiders... just bad timing I tell you! They mock me.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Lorena swam up to say...

"trade your identity for coupons!"
i know someone who would do it :) we had this lady at work that i nicknamed couponi because she is a freak when it comes to them. anyway, i'm sick of them too!

12:09 AM  
Blogger theleftsock swam up to say...

thats so funny. you could even have a file somewhere that has all of your info on it. it could be a form of money, the more personal info on it, the more valuable it is. i learned a new word too. ichthyologist.

12:44 AM  
Blogger anne swam up to say...

I don't think I see them anymore. Except for the persistent pop-ups (yes, despite the blocking thing) that tell me I've just won a PS3 (a PS3!) and I think that's cruel. Cruel.

2:52 AM  
Blogger transience swam up to say...

mmmmm. if i had enough money, i would pay to read you witty.

3:51 AM  
Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

Can I just trade away parts of my personality that I don't care for, or maybe bad habits? Surely there are type-A personalities that would love to be able to have a good long week of procrastination, or penny pinchers who would love to have a few days of foolish spending! Maybe I could trade in a few nights of staying up too late with someone who is always too sleepy. Let me know when you're open for commerce!

10:32 AM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

livewire: that's synchronicity for you--if you've had it with spiders i'd suggest you not visit monkey0 to see some amazing 8-legged beasties.

lorena: i've never ever been able to get into coupons, so i'm vaguely fascinated by those that are. whenever i try i forget about them & find them a month after they expire.
i never click on the flashy things, lest the flashy things invade my personal cyberspace.

sock: intriguing idea. & i'd forgotten all about that word, "icthyologist". that's a damn good word. i must incorporate into the fish somehow--could perhaps i, & mysfit, & oldben, be "local" ichthyologists?
that's fun to type. "icthyologist." wheee.

anne: mostly i avoid pop-ups (ad-aware is pretty good for that), but it's those las-vegas-style ads that live on websites--like commercials on tv, only slightly less irritating, except for car commercials, where the reverse is true--that make me crazy.

transcience: shame on you, dahlink, wit does not require wealth.
does it?
hmmmmm.

carl v: & i could trade traits with someone...i dunno, what's bothering me about me lately...someone not at all self-conscious? anyone?

1:42 PM  
Blogger Daniel Heath swam up to say...

[puts geek hat on]
for those few of who haven't already figured this out,
1.) get Firefox
2.) right-click flashy godawful image thing, choose "block images from [servername]"
3.) reload page
4.) aaaah....

the other important thing: never install Flash in Firefox. keep IE around stuffed to the gills with every godawful plugin in existence, for those instances when you want them. but most Flash is ads these days.
[takes geek hat off.]

6:22 PM  
Blogger the wheel swam up to say...

The Google toolbar blocks most of those for me. I get those damn things on my computer at work all the time though.

9:40 PM  
Blogger banzai cat swam up to say...

Oh oh oh! I just had a story idea!

I don't suppose I could borrow your inspiration to write this?

:-D

2:09 AM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

go forth with it, banzai cat. tis something of a collaborative idea anyway.
but i get to read it!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Emily swam up to say...

I found out recently (I am a little slow)that when one belongs to a site like myspace or friendster or a personals site or something...that they advertise based on responses to each personalized page..i.e. Your age, single or not, what school or job you have etc. This made me so crazy that I took out all my identifiers on those sites: Now people message me and are like are you single? are you gay or straight? how old are you? But- its worth it because I don't get any advertisments anymore.

3:08 PM  
Blogger LiVEwiRe swam up to say...

You doooo know that I had to visit the site you told me not to, right? =)

8:31 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

mwahahahahahahahaha.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home