Tuesday, September 27, 2005

ah, the old spy-in-the-fish trick.





let us all pause a moment in a cone of silence to gleefully shout in each other's ears in memory of the great Agent 86...





...

...

...

"WHAT? what'd you say?"

"Don Adams is dead. Long live the Don." says mysfit.


i love, & even as a child i loved, Get Smart. it was so deliriously silly & yet seemed so...so cool. i wanted to be 99. though it got a little weird for me later when they got married & suchlike...

it's completely absurd & somehow true to life (with Mel Brooks & Buck Henry writing, how could it not be?), & it still rings true (as is evident via this old post from mysfit) & i still watch it whenever i come across it. i remember a few years ago they had a K.A.O.S. reunion on TVLand, & we watched it religiously all week, every night. mysfit, i think, has that tape somewhere...



& what child of the 80's didn't love Inspector Gadget? how could you not? it didn't take me long to catch on that it was the same voice...


the world is less one more deadpan comedic genius.

who's up for a Get Smart memorial marathon?

or the Inspector Gadget drinking game?

postscript: there's a Get Smart movie in the works, starring Steve Carrell. this makes me happy.

19 little fish:

Blogger MrGonSings swam up to say...

I'll gladly contribute on the marathon (I was thinking of posting something about him anyway)... Call me on my shoe-phone and leave me the details!

7:35 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

i'm going to be starting with the Groovy Guru shortly after the Daily Show airs...

10:43 PM  
Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

This is sad. I didn't watch Get Smart a ton but loved it when I could catch it. Definitely my kind of humor and he was genius at delivering it. The world is indeed a sadder place. Thanks for sharing cuz I hadn't heard that he passed away.

11:28 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

a quote from my personal marathon:

smart: "there's an organization of shrewd, determined men who've been trying to get control of this country for a number of years; perhaps you've heard of them."

blonde girl: "oh, you mean the Republicans..."

from "The Girls from KAOS"

11:55 PM  
Blogger LiVEwiRe swam up to say...

I wonder if Sprint will be carrying shoe phones....

11:55 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

i wonder...it's a neat trick...

another quote, same episode:

smart: "there are good secret agents, & there are bad secret agents.:

blonde girl: "there are? well what's the difference?"

smart: "well, the good secret agents are on our side. the bad secret agents are on their side."

12:02 AM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

"missed it by that much..."

it's bizarre that, no matter how intelligent the show is, it's still a product of its time.

12:14 AM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

"& now, stay tuned for the CIA sports & weather..."

12:20 AM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

chief: "now, do you have any idea how much damage 10 million teenagers can do to this country?"

smart: " i thought they'd already done it..."

12:36 AM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

"what gun? this isn't a gun, this is my nephew's rubber duck."

12:48 AM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

"don't tell me there's a bomb in my purse!"

"max, there's a bomb in your purse!"

"i asked you not to tell me that!"

12:56 AM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

is it the red car, or the blue car?

...

thank god for file sharing, that's all i have to say.

12:59 AM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

"because when i was a little kid, my mother wouldn't get me a sled.
Why wouldn't she get me a sled, Schmardt? WHY??"

"I don't know, Siegfried."

"you think maybe was because we lived in Florida?"

1:20 AM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

wow...i forgot, there was a green car too...

1:27 AM  
Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

Great quotes. There are some people who really 'get' and appreciate that sort of humor, present company included, and I've never really understood those who don't. I always feel like they are missing out on a real treasure.

11:06 AM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

i had a grand ol' time watching it last night. the quality of the episodes is kinda engh, because...i dunno, has it come out on dvd yet?

but i bet it will now...

12:21 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

Sign: Who wrote Little Women?
Counter Sign: Lonely little men.
Sign: Who do you love?
Counter Sign I want to be loved by you, just you, and nobody else but you.
Sign: I want to be loved by you, you hoo hoo.
Counter Sign (said together) Boop boop be do.

1:07 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

did you know: Siegfried was played by the same person who played "Dr.Adam Bricker" from the "Love Boat" - weird

1:12 PM  
Blogger Fence swam up to say...

Aw, poor old Get Smart. Loved that show, haven't seen it in an age though. Pity.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home