Tuesday, September 20, 2005

"in the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded."

as you may have noticed, we fish are very gleeful fans of the inimitable Terry Pratchett, he of the knowing grin & the sly wink (tricky gestures to pull off with mere typeface) & the inescapably British humor. truly a fantastic satirist, the best i've encountered since Mark Twain.
& since i'll never get to meet Mark Twain, unless something seriously bizarre happens in the Trousers of Time, Pratchett gets to be my favorite, because he looks just like i thought he would & speaks like he writes.
brilliant.






Terry Pratchett, Lincoln Center B&N, Manhattan, 15 September 2005

besides, i have a thing for cute little old men. they're just appealing. i want them all to be my grandfathers & lend me their hats.
er, sorry, wandered off there...

anyway, i don't have too much of the fanboy in me
(of course not, you say, you're a girl)
but this week brings me not once but twice to the land of Manhattan & its Barnes & Nobles for book signings, last thursday for Terry Pratchett, this afternoon for Neil Gaiman, to whom we at the fish owe something of a debt for a number of reasons (e.g. we have blatantly stolen one of his lines & used it shamelessly as the title of this blog).
so what am i getting signed? or, a different question with the same answer, how ever did you get into these authors all those years ago?
the answer is Good Omens, although those bastards (whoever "they" are) aren't rereleasing the hardcover til November, but of course you can't find the old one now), which however much i cross my fingers will probably never be made into a movie. (we should start a letter campaign to Terry Gilliam & convince him that the end of the world is nigh, & it's now or never.)

Gaiman's new book, Anansi Boys, comes out today, & as it happens to be oldben's birthday, i thought, ooooh, there's an idea.

this will probably satisfy any fanboy tendencies in me, since i mostly waited around at the Pratchett signing & could barely hear a word of the speaking bit, & imagine it won't be too much more exciting today. & for some reason it drives me nuts to hear people before & behind me dissecting the works & wandering off into other topics with which i'm familiar, seemingly making me & my tastes into an idiot without social graces. it's the snob in me, i guess.

anyway, i'll be taking the ferry for the first time, & all by me onesy, too...
this could get very interesting.

disclaimer: if you have no imagination, or can't get past the idea of books with wizards or gods as literature, you probably won't really get into these authors. otherwise, L-Space is your mollusk, go forth, etc etc etc.
just mind the librarian, he's watching you.

sing with me: "i am following my fishie"...oh wait, not that one...

"happy birthday to t!!!!!!!!!!" (repeat times three, at least.)

9 little fish:

Blogger theleftsock swam up to say...

im a terry pratchett fanboy. oh well. at least i dont know the names of his pets or his grand kids.

1:30 PM  
Blogger anne swam up to say...

happy birthday to t!!!!!!!!!!
happy birthday to t!!!!!!!!!!
happy birthday to t!!!!!!!!!!
And joyeux anniversaire, for good measure. Lots of happy things and stuff, and many joyful other blahs.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Fence swam up to say...

If Joss Whedon wasn't my master I'd be in service to TP :)

I love Good Omens, makes me laugh every time I read it.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

Happy birthday Oldben!

Good for you being able to see both Pratchet and Gaiman. I'm leaving in a few hours for my trek to Chicago to meet Master Gaiman. I'm really looking forward to the reading and signing tomorrow night.

Have a great weekend, and tip one back in celebration of Oldben for me.

7:19 AM  
Blogger forgottenmachine swam up to say...

Granny Weatherwax for President!!!!!!!!

7:44 AM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

machine: oh, that would be brilliant. & a little scary. actually a lot scary.
& i don't often do those kinds of "what if" scenarios in my head, but a mental picture just wandered past so glorious it gave me chills: Vetinari meets president Bush. oooooooh.

carl v: it'd have been silly not to, considering how many copies of Good Omens i've owned--now i have one i'll hang on to.
(they tend to wander off with people after i've drunkenly pressed them into their hands with exclamations of "here, here, you have to read this."
chicago's kind of a trek for you, isn't it? enjoy your trip!

fence: honestly never really got fanatic about anything Joss Whedon's done. which is not to say he isn't good for the world.

anne: he's in cleveland at the moment, on tour with the band, but i'm sure he'll get around to seeing the songs eventually.

sock: me neither, but i like to think he has a pet turtle.
all i know of his personal life was that when i thanked him for coming so far & staying so long to sign he said in an undertone "they have my children".
"they" being B&N, perhaps?

12:21 PM  
Blogger forgottenmachine swam up to say...

Ah but Jenn, if it were the living, breathing Patrician himself, I doubt he'd actually meet Bush. George would just disappear one hazy Thursday afternoon.........

2:04 AM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

hmmmm...i still think he'd meet with him first...he'd want Georgie to know what was going to happen before it happened, & that it was going to happen whether he liked it or not.

12:35 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

but not why - Vetinari never explains

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home