Friday, October 14, 2005

dreams are fish

i've been having strange dreams in the mornings of late; maybe it's all the rain. this morning i dreamed of one who i may or may not ever see again, skimming through the high airs of the world as he is, a silver fish in the sky.

it was the kind of dream where you wonder if the other had a dream too, that somehow the loop-de-loops & resolutions were in fact as shared as they seemed.

it's better not to ask.

which reminds me that i've been meaning to mention that i saw Mirrormask last weekend. beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. i love that Dave McKean exists & is somehow improbably allowed to frolic all over my imagination & the nature of space-time. he deserves, & it may even happen, his own fish, at some point.

but as for the film, wow. it generates that kind of response. wow, floating giants. wow, the cat lady with sphinxes. wow, evil queen. wow, transformations. wow, look, Helena's following her fish.
which shouldn't have surprised me, being that we owe Neil Gaiman for that expression in the first place.

Gaiman's got a way of telling stories based on the assumption that some part of you already knows them, tapping in to those weird meta-stories; this one is sister to The Wizard of Oz, to Alice, to Labyrinth. maiden enters dreamworld, which is a weird reflection of real world, wherein she resolves something that overlaps both worlds.

it is a children's story, & the dialogue is terribly reminiscent of Jennifer Connelly in Labyrinth, particularly during those moments of realization, because...children sometimes need things spelled out for them? to answer some of the "why"s?

oldben felt that the real-world act in the beginning was drawn out too long, but, going back to the meta-story thing, it made sense to me because the real people were out there, in the (admittedly equally dreamlike) circus settings & desolate beachside resort towns (a landscape disconcertingly familiar to me). the fantastic dreamscapes are ultimately extensions of Helena (abovementioned maiden) & her grasp on her own universe.

essentially her (McKean's) bizarre, absurdist, slightly gothic black & white drawings become a world unto themselves, & Helena & her reflection change places. dreaminess ensues.

i think i'll leave the details of the story blank, because it's not terrifically original, plot-wise or dialogue-wise, but the execution of the scenes & the art have their own skewed identities, & it's more fun if you don't know it ahead of time.

dream good dreams, little fishies, as will i in my watery world. i hope. or it could stop raining, which would leave me equally pleased.

6 little fish:

Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

forgot to mention that the film included the most singularly bizarre version of "Close To You" that i have ever, & possibly will ever, see.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

I am so very, very, VERY jealous. I was reading Anansi Boys tonight and am using a Mirrormask postcard I picked up in a comic shop in Chicago...I pulled it out, looked at it and said to myself "I'm really annoyed that I haven't seen Mirrormask yet". The closest viewing is a 4 hour drive. I will probably be relegated to seeing this when it comes out on DVD which really sucks because I like to see things right away.

I'm very glad for you and glad to hear that you liked it. Labyrinth will always be one of my top 10 favorite films...it holds so much significance for me. Henson backing McKean and Gaiman? It has to be friggin sweet!

11:47 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

i'm sry - i refuse to read this post - but i'm going tonight!!!!

nfocoi

12:24 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

you will love it.

but i think i did a pretty good job of not revealing too much in this post...

i better get your view after you see it.

yswuxyxx

2:42 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

sister to Wizard of Oz indeed, but daughter of Return to Oz... as for Alice, she ain't got nothing on Helena, I mean she was asleep for the whole thing :)

10:57 AM  
Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

woops, forgot that you too did a post on this wonderful film Jenn See. I am posting a link to it and Mysfit's in my comments section as you both have great thoughts that need to be read!

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home