Tuesday, October 18, 2005

murakami fish

In these dreams, I'm there, implicated in some kind of ongoing circumstance. All indications are that I belong to this dream continuity...

I wake up, but where? I don't just think this, I actually voice the question to myself: "Where am I?" As if I didn't know: I'm here. In my life. A feature of the world that is my existence. Not that I particularly recall ever having approved these matters, this condition, this state of affairs in which I feature. There might be a woman sleeping next to me. More often, I'm alone. Just me and the expressway that runs right next to my apartment and, bedside, a glass (five millilmeters of whiskey still in it) and the malicious--no, make that indifferent--dusty morning light. Sometimes it's raining...Maybe I'll stretch, nice and slow. Enough for me to be sure I'm myself and not part of something else. Yet I'll remember the feel of the dream. So much that I swear I can reach out and touch it, and the whole of that something that includes me will move.

Haruki Murakami, Dance Dance Dance, chapter 1.

11 little fish:

Blogger theleftsock swam up to say...

he sounds like he just finished reading the stranger and dont ya think that its a good idea he left that ruler next to his whiskey glass? he also assumes hes the feature, thats kind of neat, i usually just think im some sort of cat dream, that way my consideration of my parts in these matters is mostly irrelevant. dusty morning eh? no woman next to you this time. wheres the well, head for the well!

3:45 PM  
Blogger oldben swam up to say...

and when you get there, push through it into another dimension filled with unicorn skulls and a shadow corral.

4:02 PM  
Blogger transience swam up to say...

i like. the juxtaposition of objects, mostly.

8:57 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

murakami's a genius when it comes to the strange details.
i'm really digging Dance Dance Dance. it's bizarre & kind of on an edge & a little sarcastic.

there's a definite existential/absurdist bent to his works.

what we need now are some paperclips & an island in Greece.

9:33 PM  
Blogger forgottenmachine swam up to say...

Ah yes, unicorn skulls.

Strange, happened to be listening to a track by Set Fire to Flames called Steal Compass/Drive North/Disappear as I read this excerpt.

Music and word, its a good thing we will never gain a full understanding of either...I fear if we did there'd be a whole lot of spontaneous combustion going on......

1:01 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

that's a great title...i checked out the bands website & downloaded it to listen to later, off the bat i'd say very dreamy stuff...

the human mind builds its own defenses against the wonders of the world. it's called growing up, or socialization, or keeping your feet on the ground, etc etc etc.

it's probably an evolutionary thing, because what kind of society would we have otherwise?

2:06 PM  
Blogger theleftsock swam up to say...

less tv, more jello. and i hate my insomnia.

4:08 AM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

Music and word, its a good thing we will never gain a full understanding of either...

hmmm - what do you think, jenn? think i should leave this one alone? :P

11:44 AM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

insomnia's a killer...me, i've been sleeping way way too much.

go forth, mysfit, & fear nothing.

2:45 PM  
Blogger forgottenmachine swam up to say...

"hmmm - what do you think, jenn? think i should leave this one alone? :P"

Care to share the source of that sly grin?

12:07 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

i think she should.

sharing is caring, dammit.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home