Thursday, October 06, 2005

puppet fish



went to see Tim Burton's Corpse Bride last night, & i have to say i expected, if not great, then at least imaginative & amusing, things from Mr. Burton, as per usual. sadly i was disappointed. it's way too long for the story, & more than a little trite.


the bride herself was the best part, & beautifully creepy. it did me good to remember that this was stop-motion animation, & not cgi, although to be perfectly honest, mostly i couldn't tell the difference.

the places where it struck me the most were the piano scenes: the "hero", a most deliciously wishywashy johnny depp, has a moment at a piano with each girl. the music actually seemed to tap into the spirit of the film, or at least the spirit it wanted to have, & i loved the idea of all the artistry that went into those little hands.


but these moments were completely drowned out, because for whatever reason, this is a musical.
& the musical numbers are pretty awful.
& i do mean awful. i twitched when the first one started.
i do admit to liking the dancing skeletons, & all those colors, but how much better if they'd just been dancing--that kind of music does not need lyrics--instead of warbling stereotypically up at the guy holding the blacklight.

ah well. got to see the theatre-screen-sized preview for the new Harry Potter. i was squiggling for joy.

besides, also watched the first couple episodes of the Muppet Show, season 1, & that was pure glee.
so who am i to complain?

8 little fish:

Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

I can't wait to get the Muppet Show Season 1 set, its on my wish list.

We obviously had very different opinions about Corpse Bride, which is cool, because I really, really enjoyed it though I feel Nightmare is far better. I liked the mood and feel of both the world above and world below.

I agree the songs were lacking but I didn't think they were horrible, just not as inspired as Nightmare's were. Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

3:57 PM  
Blogger theleftsock swam up to say...

serenity was really good though, better than i even thought it was going to be. i didnt expect it to be so enthralling.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

Ahhh...Serenity!!!!

11:26 PM  
Blogger LiVEwiRe swam up to say...

I haven't seen it yet. I most likely will but the 'musical' crap will get on my nerves. But I'm sure I'll still see it. I'm like that. =)

8:22 PM  
Blogger JP swam up to say...

Actually, I'm not at all surprised that it seemed trite. I've always felt Burton had this very simplistic 'weird is better' message that subsumes any other observation or insight his material might offer, to varying degrees. Having said that, I like the way the man makes things look, and will definitely see this one.

*This comment brought to you by the Orissan Fruit Jam Maker's All-Android Organisation

7:38 AM  
Blogger oldben swam up to say...

ah, the OFJMA-AO, my old nemesis. i have finally found you...

10:33 AM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

easy ob, easy

while i writhed with gleeful squeals at the Harry Potter preview, i was less than thrilled at CB - it was fun and visually stunning, but i agree with jenn about the music, especially the opening song.

11:05 AM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

harry potter!!!!!

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home