Monday, April 24, 2006

fish with piano

went to see Regina Spektor on Tuesday the 11th.

i think i found her through a video, the quirky clockworky animation-esque clip for "Us", all crescending piano & scenic lyrics & panoramic photographic imagery.
does that make sense?
ok then, you watch, you describe it.

she's got this kind of self-conscious cutie/lispy/quirky thing going, kinda like Bjork only not as fey. could be the influence of the accent--i think she was born in Moscow & raised in the Bronx...

naturally there's a sense of an artist in a tradition--in this case, the classic musical tradition of pretty ladies at pianos. & she is classy, in this vaguely pre-war elegant always-has-an-umbrella-&-a-handkerchief sorta way.

like tori amos before all the theatrics. actually i'm guessing she grew up with tori in her soundtrack as well...comparisons are inevitable, what with the red hair & the whole piano thing. & the warbling, can't forget that. the songs veer from bluesy-jazzy-almost-nursery-rhymey to sounding like Tchaikovsky's redheaded stepchild.

the show was fabulous; i suspect it was the "hometown" show of her tour: lots of inside jokes & people yelling things & laughing...that's always fun to watch even if you don't quite "get" everything. & the material from the new album is tres promising, particularly "Fidelity", which i could get a copy of if i finally bought into itunes. otherwise, it's june for me...

the venue was weird, in that i-love-this-place-one-day-i'll-bring-everyone-together-here sorta way. the Warsaw in Brooklyn is this polish pub/ballroom venue, & there's a back room that serves pierogies all night. my only complaint was that it was sorta overly warm & the smell of frying onions eventually made me feel a little faint.

oldben was a magnificent good sport for indulging me in a chick-music event & absorbing it all with good-natured grins. besides, we both got a kick out of the little girl with a feather in her hair.

nothing like a lady at a piano while some weird drunk modern version of Tiger Lily goes cavorting through the gaps in the crowd.


(edit: photos from the show are up at the tourist.)

8 little fish:

Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

One of you wonderful fish recommended Regina Spektor to me long ago in a comment on one of my posts and I immediately checked her out and love her music. 'Us' was the first song I listened to and the video is fantastic. Your description is perfect. So awesome that you were able to see her in concert, I'm sure it was wonderful. Being a fan of the chick-music myself I am tres' jealous. Glad you had fun and am glad Oldben survived! I haven't listened to Regina for awhile but thanks to you she will be on my playlist today. I pulled up my Real Rhapsody player and am listening to 'Fidelity' as I type this. Its good, I like it. Very quirky chorus! Thanks Jenn See, despite the cold and rain today I have a BIG smile on my face.

8:41 AM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

she's fun!

1:16 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

she is indeed.

glad my descriptions worked for you carl, i needed a second opinion...
the music seems almost simple when you hear it, but try to describe it later...it gets all tangled.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

On that note I also agree with your description of her. I watched the "us" video after commenting and she is very glamorous...beautiful eyes, dark lashes, voluptous lips, and the dress really fits that description of yours.

4:00 PM  
Blogger JP swam up to say...

That was a very evocative post about the show.

I like her music too. All I like these days is chick music and death metal. Everything else is obsolete.

4:26 AM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

except for the Flaming Lips.
because they rock.
consistently.
yep.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

and polka...don't forget polka!!!

3:53 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

i suspect that polka has always been obsolete...

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home