Wednesday, May 17, 2006

the importance of the fish

lately it's been really embarrassing me how not-together my shit is.
an appalling sentence, i know, but accurate.

so i was thinking about the nature of the fish, & where it's taken me thus far, & i look forward to a future full of papers, when i finally get back into school so i can get back out of school & on with my life...
you see, the fish began as a means for mysfit & i to continue the creative conversational collaboration we'd been enjoying since we met--& since we met in within the first six weeks of our respective higher educations--i'm not even going to clarify how long ago that was exactly--a fair part of these conversations revolved around our personal blend of Academia.
that's one way to say it, anyway.
another way might be that a lot of last-minute term paper writing involved wine-fueled brainstorming & me wandering up & down the hallway yelling about how the storm was the real link between Oedipus & Lear & that beauty is the only purpose in life, & that, ontologically speaking, i was kinda like god, while mysfit hung around in the bathroom trying to prove to us that she didn't exist, or prove to herself that she did exist, or whatever.

mind you, academia's one of those things that's really only important to the people doing it.
just have to hope, i guess, that some sorta revolution of thought will eventually occur again. like, a second Age of Reason or some such. we could certainly use one.

on the one hand, i completely understand my stepfather's indignation that my mother kicks him off the computer to follow the fish when he's busy doing whatever it is that people do with stocks & finances & the like. that's important, i agree.
but so's global warming, & i like the thing the fish has value for things like that. sharing information, continuously exploring an infinity of points of view...
& i try not to be too cynical.

on the other hand, the fish recently received its first piece of federal mail, e.g. an envelope containing a Regina Spektor promo sampler for the consideration of the fish.

so that's something.

at any rate, i'm considering changing my Official Status from Unemployed (with occasional odd jobs) to Freelance Photographer, since really i spend most of my time involved with my own photographs (i'm terribly self-centered).
i can't quite bring myself to do it yet, though, because it seems undeniably clear to me that the new title would require at least One Photograph Sold.

so i'm opening it up: i'll "sell" anyone a print of any one of my photos--for the perfectly reasonable price of mailing it. pick a photo, any photo--although i'd have to get really creative if anyone wanted a print larger than 8x10.

um, i really mean it. although i think this means that if you live in another country it'll have to cost more. i have no capital, you see (but i suspect i have an inner Town Hall...)

in the end, i can only say: this Egyptian licorice tea makes my tongue tingle.

10 little fish:

Blogger anne swam up to say...

"ontologically" speaking... wow.
And while we're on three-letter words expressing exactly how I feel, yay for the Freelance Photographer decision! So how would this work, if, say, I wanted one of your photos (apart from me ripping apart the Tourist site)?

5:39 PM  
Blogger anne swam up to say...

Like this one for instance?

5:41 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

"i have no capital, you see (but i suspect i have an inner Town Hall...)" - you should be ashamed

yes going from unemployed to freelance photographer between assignments is a good career move and i cheer you on with all my loudest hurrahs!

anne - i like the naked books too

10:27 AM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

really? the naked books?

i'm not really sure how it would work...if i'm actually selling prints i'll have to figure out a paypal thing or something similar...&, um, look into how much postage costs...i'll get back to you on the specifics...

11:44 AM  
Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

Paypal should work fairly easy for you in getting payment for your pics. I also encourage the freelance photographer monicker...go for it!!! I'll have to do a little tourist shopping in the future!

8:49 AM  
Blogger anne swam up to say...

Yep.

12:44 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

okay...i'll invest time in this...when i have time to invest, possibly next month :P
meanwhile choose a couple, because i think it makes more sense to send two at a time at least.

&, er, i'll get back to you...

if you prefer send me an email at followingfish@gmail.com

cheers

now i go wash a curtain...

3:47 PM  
Blogger monkey 0 swam up to say...

you remember that old fairy photo, the one that kind of unhinged me back in the day? the evil one, the one that helped me understand how garden statuary everywhere are actually taking over people's minds and making them commit unspeakable crimes?

yeah, that one. that's the one I want. name your price...

you could even do it on the cheap and easy, where you use a site like winkflash.com and send them straight out to people; saves you the trouble of shipping them (that's what I do when I send photos to luddite relatives).

'course, if you're going to get serious and try to do this for a living, you got to get yourself some real gear, got to bring the megapixels, you know what I'm saying?

2:16 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

i know, i totally fail in the MP category. i think mine's a mere 5.
but it can print up to 8x10 pretty nice...i know because i've seen it.

if i win enough in my lawsuit the first thing i'm doing is Investing in my Photography Equipment. with Capitals.

8:13 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

ok, so here's the deal.
ahem:

calling all fishfollowers!
jenn see needs some practical practice with the photo thing!

to get an idea about what it will entail, dedicated fish can receive up to 3 prints free of fish--i mean charge--so i can figure out how much it costs to send things where.

email me your addy & your choices, & we'll go from there...
(please please no one post an address here...not that my fish are that silly...)

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home