Wednesday, June 21, 2006

bonnaroo fish: episode 0.5

there's so much to say about the Bonnaroo expedition/quest/journey/etcetera that i'm not really sure where to start...

i have posted Volume One of the epic series of photos taken through the weekend on the tourist, & though these are only of the road trip down i'm sure it's already evident that it was not just a festival but a great big Thing that extended far beyond the physical borders of the festival...

by the time we hit southern PA we were already seeing wandering tribes of Bonnaroo-ers (the official term i think is "Bonnaroonies" but that just makes me think of macaroni when i'd rather not...) collecting in groups & scattering again at every rest stop & gas station & Waffle House & Wendy's we hit, although my favorite was the trio of boys at the last rest stop before Manchester pushing their crappy boat of a car uphill (& the rest of the way, i guess?) & laughing hysterically about the whole thing...

even yesterday, back at work in the real world, a group of Bonnaroo voyagers stopped at oldben's work to have something taken care of on their car, & hung around outside his office window, playing in the fountain, smoking joints, & kicking a hackeysack around...as though the festival were a thing that still hasn't ended yet...which for me is true, anyway, with my hundreds of photos to deal with...
(a note on photos: Mike Doughty has posted a couple of my shots of his Sonic Stage performance on his blog, which gave me a little thrill & cheered me immensely.)

as for being home, well, no matter how far we voyage into strange loops of space/time, we have to come back eventually, & the real world was waiting for us, a little sullen at our brief escape, it seems...those of us that weren't immediately smacked upside the head with a forever-long day at work had other disappointments to face...

we mourn the passing of a fellow Bonnaroo-er's dear old friend Maggie, a sweet if temperamentally-behaved big old shaggy loveable dog of i don't know what breed, who with that supernatural ability of animals to Know About These Things waited for her master to return before saying farewell. i understand the loss of a pet & friend that was also a connection to a past part of life that will never return, & i feel for my friend, so let us all give fishy-well-wishing winged thoughts to the spirit of Maggie as she lopes her way toward a paradise of toilet paper to eat, knocked-over trashcans, & backyards with no boundaries.


Maggie.


as for myself, having spent the last few months collecting records, letters of recommendation, & medical information, as well as writing a small mountain of correspondence, i came home to find that my appeal to return to Rutgers University to finish the last 12 credits of my degree was rejected via a form letter that implies that no one even looked at my appeal in the slightest, the bureaucratic bastards.
wonderful.

so i will spend the next few days reveling in the past & in memories, collecting myself in the present, & looking to the future...which promises many new things & much Change, along with all that comes with these things.

16 little fish:

Blogger IanBradley swam up to say...

Heh heh, JenSee's eyes are catching eyes.
Maggie, I didn't know ya, but I bet you're doin just fine maybe I'll catch ya on the return trip.
Rutgers.....hrmmmm... burn in your own special hell you f-ing bastard. Including you Mr. Don't- Arrest-Me-Officer-I'm-Not-Driving- Drunk,-I'm-Leaving-the-Bar- Stressed-Out-And-Tired..... err President of Rutgers.
(at one point I knew his name but now... it's with all the other things I have forgotten)
Don't worry Jensee.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

Glad you had a good time at the festival.

Am sorry about the loss of your friends' dog and about your university woes!

Look forward to checking out the pics on the tourist. (not the pics of your university woes, however)

2:28 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

the festival was more than a good time, it was a phenomenon.

the photos will keep coming, & Rutgers be damned, & at least i don't have to live in New Brunswick again.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Zebigleb swam up to say...

Nice blog

5:15 PM  
Blogger jenn see swam up to say...

thanks...i am glad your fish has led you here...

6:24 PM  
Blogger anne swam up to say...

You know how the first will be last and the last will be drinking themselves into a slightly spiteful hilarity... Well then, screw Rutgers: you don't need them to be a world-famous photographer and writer anyway, now do you...?
And we all know they'll be sorry in the end.

5:55 AM  
Blogger IanBradley swam up to say...

Ohh will they ever! They'll be asking you to come speak at some commencement and you'll be able to say "hey remember when ...." and then "NO! Not gonna!" or send them a standardized response that says you never actually looked at thier request.

1:10 PM  
Blogger IanBradley swam up to say...

No! That's not why I swam up today. Grrr, bad brain! Anyway. It appears I have been quoted. We would like to thank Jensee at this time. Here it comes: Thanks!.
Uh oh... I feel another distraction comming... will.. complete... comment...
I never thought any of those would be as enjoyable as that.
*whew* got it out, thanks Jensee!

1:15 PM  
Blogger oldben swam up to say...

maggie was a bearded collie. and she was a winning showdog in her day.

did ya see that? he went after her like she was made out of ham!

1:46 PM  
Blogger theleftsock swam up to say...

i decided on bonnaroosers on the trip down, but to each its own.

11:38 PM  
Blogger EviLibraGyrl swam up to say...

I can't stop re-reading the last paragraph of this blog. i'm sorry i didn't get to comment on the whole thing when it was first written.... and now, instead, my words are numb, and i can't keep my eyes off of the word, that one word, capitalized.... Change.
God damn, how can one word have so much meaning all of a sudden...

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous swam up to say...

I am with you evilibragyrl. I keep going to the fish to see if my girl shows up. Ahhhhhh!such pain. I plan on checking in on all of you. Thank you again for sharing in her celebration of life. Hope to see more of your posts. Jen's Mom Cynthia

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous swam up to say...

It is June 20,2007. I am reading my daughter's last posting and am crying such tears of pain. Just like Maggie waited for her master to come home, I read that last line and just wonder. I miss you my star child. Mom

2:19 PM  
Blogger Carl V. swam up to say...

I've been reading this stuff as well today, and my two posts about this last year, in addition to trolling the Tourist for photos to use in tomorrow's remembrance. How is it that loss is such a hard thing to fathom, sometimes, and that though life does indeed go on it only takes a glance back to that part of you that is missing to realize that you aren't quite as whole as you once were? It is maddening and very sad too. You know that you are in my thoughts Cynthis, Mysfit, Oldben, and Jenn See...

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous swam up to say...

Here I am again. Today, November 10, 2008, not sure why today rather than tomorrow or yesterday, I guess because its all the same. She is with me everyday and somedays I just stop and am amazed that she is really gone. How can that be? She is so alive and vibrant in these and all the other posts I continue to find. Well, she is gone from my universe but I am sure she is in someone elses. She visits but its not the same.
Cynthia (Jenn's mom)

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous swam up to say...

Hey My Star Child,
Where are you? What are you? I hope you are spinning around the universe, having fun, checking in on us. We miss you soooo much. I can't believe its almost 3 years since you left your body and moved on. sigh.
Love you forever,
mommy

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home