Friday, August 05, 2005

moving the superhero fish - part um?

I know many of you are waiting on the edge of your monitors for an update on my moving endeavor, but this isn't the full version. Brace yourself as we travel back in time to last Sunday. This really should be called:

THE MOVING DISTRACTION-FISH

After a gruelling Saturday of realizing that I have too much stuff and not enough time to go through it all before throwing it in boxes and dragging it four blocks, we decided to go to a rodeo. For those of you who do not remember the old west or cowboys or even what a horse looks like here's a picture:

Cheyenne, Wyoming - proud home of the Cheyenne Frontier Days: "the Daddy of 'em All" - a rodeo tournament that lasts a week, and has every year since 1897. For those of the rodeo-persuasion, this tourney is the second most prestigious in the country - cause it has the second largest reward pay-out of all the events on the rodeo circuit. It also hosts one of the best old west museums.

My favorite was the clown:


(yes, he's waving at me - that made me very happy)

Outside the arena was a gala of leather and lights - a boardwalk without an ocean - I kept expecting when I got to the end of the carnival strip of games and rides, that I would be able to walk onto the pier, take off my shoes and wade into the cool(cold) water of the Atlantic Ocean - but of course, I was in Wyoming. (Just in case you were wondering - Wyoming is a looooong way from the Atlantic, something like 2500 miles away).
I was going to post these pictures on the tourist, but the only talent I have with pictures that rivals jenn see's ability to take photographs, is my ability to edit them. (This isn't a complaint - sometimes I take gems as well, just not as often.)
before editafter edit
(yay disappearing people)

Yes, the carnival had a fun house. It's been years since I've even seen an attempt at one of these and though it was kinda lame, it had a small mirror maze (I've been drawn to these strange infinities ever since I saw Something Wicked This Way Comes as a child).

All in all, the day was hot and pleasant - I got drunk on cheap beer, was amused at all the cowboy hats, and watched a bunch of macho men try to prove that they really are smarter than your average side-of-beef. I also scared myself silly on this ride:

But mostly, I spent the day avoiding any thought of the room I had not yet cleaned, of the boxes sitting stacked in my new living room/dining room/bedroom, of the fact that I can't find anything, despite my four-tier system, and just enjoyed myself immensely.

11 little fish:

Blogger anne swam up to say...

And surely you haven't regretted taking that course of action?
Also, I stumbled upon this on Language Hat, maybe you'd already seen it, but hey.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Jaxe swam up to say...

Hi mysfit, this has to be one of the funniest lines I've ever read:

realizing that I have too much stuff and not enough time to go through it all before throwing it in boxes and dragging it four blocks, we decided to go to a rodeo. Ha!

Hope the move goes well!

6:04 PM  
Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn swam up to say...

I hear Wyoming is beuatiful. I've been to Idaho, Utah, and Colorado, but I never got to see Wyoming. It's such an incredible part of the world.

I hadn't stopped by for a few days, so I just noticed the bubbles. Cool stuff! I wonder if that's what's pushing the posts way down the blog though(I had to scroll down to get to the first post, but maybe it works okay with other internet browsers).

3:19 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

hey skrambled! Welcome back to the fish! we missed you. the bubbles don't push the posts down - they're fine on my browser, it might be your resolution and yes, if there's not enough room in your browser window, our sidebar is so long (like a river) that you'd have to go far down - sry you're having trouble

jaxe - it's going alright, though i'm losing my mind a bit over unpacking

anne - no regrets at all :) - thnaks for the link, i'll check it out more thoroughly, when i have time

4:47 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

i concur - done

10:06 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

Sounds like an absolutely fabulous time! Reminds me of county and state fairs growing up in Nebraksa! Its good to take breaks from headache-inducing activities like unpacking so good for you! Take your time and don't stress out about settling in.

12:18 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

thanks for the good advice, carl. it was an absolutely fabulous time and i will definately take my time about settling in, in the long run, however, i had to race to get some things settled as jenn see is visiting this week (YAY!)

10:40 AM  
Blogger LiVEwiRe swam up to say...

Fun houses are so creepy. But that was an excellent movie... still gives me a bit of the chills! =) Continued luck with the move.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

Hope you and Jenn See have an amazing time together. Look forward to pics on the tourist!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Daniel Heath swam up to say...

that last shot of the sick-n-spin swirly ride against the dark clouds... brilliant.

7:08 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

coming from you monkey that is high praise

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home