Thursday, July 28, 2005

moving the superhero fish

yay! the time has finally come - it's moving week.

this week i'll be spending way to much time in my room, covered in dust and books, overwhelmed by my possessions, cringing from papercuts (the ones from cardboard boxes being particularly painful) and wishing that i had super powers - mostly i think telekinesis and teleportation would be the most helpful ones. (if anyone has some spare toxic waste or gamma radiation lying around - send some my way.)

at the end of it all will be the start of a new adventure, a new space to spread into, to help define, a new life to sort out and, and and...

well, let's face it folks, moving sucks.

for some of us moving is easy. often it not only depends on where we are, but who we are. i, my dear friends, am a pack-rat who can organize anything that isn't my life. i will keep anything that i can imagine a use for and as you may have noticed, i have a large and vivid imagination. also, for some reason, in the last few years, i have become sentimental, which has amplified my inability to throw anything away, (or if you like, my ability to hold onto unnecessary things for untold reasons).

why do i need physical representations of my memories? i never needed them before. why now? what? so that when i'm old and senile and can't remember anything, people can hold these fossils in front of me and say "this is yours"? do you remember? say "this is you..."? do you recognize? say "this is your..."? do you recall?

ah but i know better than that - i already don't trust my memories...maybe i keep mementos because i am obsessed with time and dreams.

anyways, anytime i stop moving i collect stuff, like karmic dust in hard-cover form (esp. books). this time i haven't moved in about eleven months and instead of gradually gathering stuff over the months or years, i was hit with seven boxes of it right when i arrived from my two-thousand mile trek, with my stuff, one friend and a car (yes, this road trip did involve kansas).

it's weird, this time i'm moving four blocks and i think it's harder than when i moved from New Jersey to Colorado - mentally and possibly physically, if not emotionally. then - i had a deadline (end of lease), a size limit (in or on the station-wagon) and a long way to go (one trip only). now - i can drag it out if necessary (moving out of brother's house), no size limit (can make multiple trips) and a bunch of stuff i don't know what to do with.

here - a quick explanation: i went off to college in New Jersey, having left seven (seven!) boxes of stuff stored at my parents' house in Colorado. after college i continued my sojourn in NJ for a few years. i spent about a total of seven years there before deciding to return to the rustic charm of the rocky mountain state. however, about a month before i came to live with my bro - my parents finally sold their house and moved the rest of their stuff to California - giving me back my childhood and all the stuff i couldn't throw out when i made the transition out of the house. there so much stuff here that i don't want, don't know what to do with and don't want to through away.

so that's where i am now my little fishies - i've got all my books packed, some blankets and two more days till i move in officially. i'll keep you apprised of my progress and (perhaps) bring you pictures of my triumphs.

can mysfit get all of her shit from one place to the other and still keep her sanity? tune in later for the next exciting adventure: same fish time! same fish channel!

9 little fish:

Blogger oldben swam up to say...

you can do it mysfit! and yeah, moving sucks. the actual process, i mean. a new place is exciting, tho. i just wish i could make the housewarming party, but alas...you'll just have to find the band a place to play.

3:21 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

mysfit hangs her head in shame - i know oldben, i know

apparently, one of my roommates is getting a dj to spin the party... weird

3:38 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

Best of luck. I agree, moving is never fun. I too have always been sentimental about objects tied to memories and those things are truly hard to let go of. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing unless its just physically impossible to store things anymore and then some parting may need to be done. We are such holistic creations that the ability to physically touch, hold, see, smell memories is very important.

Hope all goes smoothly for you. Pics would be great!

3:47 PM  
Blogger anne swam up to say...

Bon courage...! Karmic dust needs shaking every now and again, so it can settle back down in new and, sometimes, better ways.

5:10 PM  
Blogger LiVEwiRe swam up to say...

Oh Mysfit, I sooo know how you feel (having 39 moves under my own belt). Lots of deep breaths, proper box labeling, and some distraction tactics will go far.

7:58 PM  
Blogger {illyria} swam up to say...

ooohhh, good luck moving! moving was always exciting for me--but maybe because i am transient like that.

5:00 AM  
Blogger JP swam up to say...

Good luck! There was a time in my life when I moved at least once a year, but I've been in the same place for nearly 4 years now - moving would be such a gargantuan endeavour! I hope it all goes reasonably smoothly.

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous swam up to say...

I used to love moving... the change, the adventure, the new space to redefine yourself (or at least a new way to view yourself).

However, over the years I too (the minimilist) have collected enough stuff to make it a pain the @#!$. How did this happen!?! I used to have my backpack half packed and ready to go all the time.

*Karmic Dust is really hard to get out of carpets.

2:52 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

thanks for all the well-wishing, i need the luck - that's certain

"We are such holistic creations that the ability to physically touch, hold, see, smell memories is very important." - too true, touch is such an important part of ourselves and our memories, though smell triggers memories, touch may make us feel real and therefore, touching old objects of memories may make the memories feel more real.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home