Wednesday, July 13, 2005

the infrequent fish

my friends call me

today i met a barber
doorman, doctor, explorer
words exchanged
and directions changed
with not but a shaking of hands

has anyone a hole
or half a whole at that,
to help me puncture this bubble?
my love waits for me outside
slight and sunny amid the rubble
stained brown and ashen
from smack cigarettes, eyes
trained on an approaching vanishing point
muscles long in anticipation
strained and frozen

o to be clever!
read songs to me
sing me some poetry
i can’t hear anything over
this droning air conditioner
that is making me cold

there’s not much variety
to be had on this island
(these days i am
a lowly potato bug)
the brighter species
driven away by
pollution and corruption
dropped in between oceans
largely ignored by fish
and set upon from all sides
by glowinthedark boxing shrimp
one more reason to sit still
     and
          sink
               into
these depths that remain unsounded
dreams, schemes that are not unfounded
with attentions, intentions that may be golden
but for this wooden leg that keeps me grounded
like a stalled space program

7 little fish:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

I especially love the first stanza. As I read it I fell into an interesting rhythm that keeps going around and around in my head!

7:47 PM  
Blogger oldben swam up to say...

carl, thanks. art, i was gonna say the same about yer name, and your bunny.

11:50 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

tlovely darlin, lovely - just two questionings:
1) is this new?
2) how'd you get bloggie to space like that?

10:27 AM  
Blogger oldben swam up to say...

it is new, and to put in a non-breaking space you have to use the code ' ', minus the little quotes, but you do need the semi-colon. to get the spacing on and there i had to use 5 nbsp's.

11:16 AM  
Blogger oldben swam up to say...

damn, ok...  with a semi-colon at the end is the code

11:17 AM  
Blogger oldben swam up to say...

ok, this is not working. i'll try it this way... & n b s p but take away the spaces. does that make sense?

11:18 AM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

you know - since one i can view source on this page and two i can go to the post editor and view the html of the post - i can see how you did it... I AM SO POWERFUL!!! FEAR ME!

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home