Friday, May 12, 2006

everyone can see my fish

in the future, we will all be watch... we um... in the now we are all being watc-- um... what the hell, i've always known the faeries were keeping close tabs on me. if the government wants in on that action, they're going to have toe-the-line, put up their elbows and make a deal with the sprites:
VS
               © Brian Froud                             ("Bush" is property of the US Government)

in an epic battle royal!! the winner gets to peek in on me taking a... what? oh - get your mind out of the gutter... i'm taking a stand: here check this out and do something:

ordering a pizza in 2040

(i was about to ask a silly question about who would win or something, but then i realized everyone can see my fish). by the way, that first picture is my favorite image by brian froud - for more on the artist go to World of Froud - and please don't steal it for devious purposes or my fish will get mad and eat you.

carl v. over at SSD has posted a list of trailers for summer movies and yet somehow, despite his turn toward science-fiction, he has missed A Scanner Darkly (let's just hope he doesn't miss this):

(cue announcer)
FROM THE CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED AUTHOR OF DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP, the director of Waking Life and Warner Independent Pictures comes a new vision of the not so distant future.

so i'm a geek, ok?

you may recognize Philip K. Dick's book linked above by the more common and sci-fi-ishly cool title: BladeRunner. this kinda pisses me off and is one of my soapbox-topics. (probably because i love the original title of the book). see, after the movie came out, they re-released the book, as they often do, with a movie cover - however instead of saying it was the inspiration for BladeRunner, they changed the title of the book. which makes no sense! "blade runner" is nowhere in the book (they're called bountyhunters). there, i've said it and am done. it's an awesome book - READ IT!

Geek Part 2: the director, Richard Linklater also directed Dazed and Confused and Fast Food Nation. and as far as Warner Independent Films, well, that's probably not what it seems either, but my fish knows not.

it's not really a "new vision" of the future, is it? A Scanner Darkly was published in 1977 and many other books have portended a bleak and fearful future. i am sad to say i've not read this one, yet - but i'm about to!! i'm ashamed that i missed this sci-fi masterpiece, which apparently pulls up along side A Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451 and 1984.

you see, there are times that i slip very swiftly into the, "oh my god, this is cool but where, oh where will it lead humanity?!?" mood and about all i can do to avoid running around like paul revere in a schitzophrantic fit ("the government is coming! the government is coming!") is buckle down, listen to they're coming to take me away and read about how bad it really could be.

people, like the heroes and heroines of our most beloved stories, we're the only ones who can stop this.

peace,
mysfit

5 little fish:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

I did miss that one, though I have seen the trailer several times online and in the theatre. It looks very interesting and I tend to like all the PKD stories that get made into movies. I'm a huge fan of Bladerunner and haven't read the book but I have to admit that I love the title of the story. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is one of the coolest titles I've ever heard for a story!

2:18 PM  
Blogger Fence swam up to say...

I always prefered the original book title too, but, taking this into consideration along with the recent The Dark I must conclude that books that mention sheep must have their titles altered.
It is anti-sheep bias, and although sheep are totally evil this shouldn't be encouraged.

5:31 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

i never said they were - though you posted a pic twice, m'dear

2:31 PM  
Blogger banzai cat swam up to say...

Huh. I'd say something about Bush having it in for fairies but I'm from the wrong country. *shrugs*

4:32 AM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

cat - all i have to say is, if they do - i wish them luck

country huh? oh i'm from the right country just at the wrong time

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home