Thursday, April 14, 2005

ooo, i've never been here before, oh look a castle, ooo, i've never been here before...

Will my fish be around after I die?

Like most humans, I have a desire to be around after I die. It's not that I want to live forever - death may be a great adventure. But even if it's not, I think like a good story, I want my life to have a good ending. Failing that, I guess any end will do. The problem is, I want to see what happens after I'm gone - or that very least, gone in the physical sense.

I'm pretty sure this is a common desire.

Most religions have some sort of life-after-death scenario where the "I" within the person that is me (the observer inside the machine; see Ghost in the Shell) continues in some manner after the body (the machine) dies. It is actually a defining difference between Eastern and Western religions as to what sort of state the "I"(self) continues. Western religions mostly believe that "I" continues as is, as a soul, without losing a sense of self or memory. While most Eastern religions believe in a transformation in which the "I" loses all sense of self and memory, becoming one with the all, or at the very least losing memory, as in re-incarnation.

You know, I was feeling quite metaphysical when I began the above discussion with the voices in my head. However, I have since disagreed with all of the idiots who run around my brain cavity, bumping into cerebellums and other gray brain tissue. Sometimes it's best to let the train derail and crawl, only slightly singed, from the burning wreck--it's better than running into the brick wall of your stubborn consciousness.

-the is a mysfit original photo, NB

I feel like I need to spring clean my brain--wipe away the cobwebs and sweep the brain stem, paying special attention to the Feng Shui placement of my thoughts. I guess that's because, though it snowed and my daffodils have died, the tulips are still struggling for breath and the lilacs have filled my dreary world with the color of scent. I breathe in the sweetness of early spring blooms, remembering absent friends.

"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due."- from Sandman IV:Season of Mists, DC Comics/Vertigo
So I dedicate a yellow lilac garden to all of you who have felt the death-like trance of falling snow and stinging cold and wish that with my rebirth comes the hope of yours.

See I get all kinds of weird when I cut over a foot of hair off my head.


-picture of yellow flower (which probably isn't a lilac, but still is very pretty) by jennsee

"The toothfairy teaches children that they can sell their body parts for money." -David Richerby

12 little fish:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

I have very definite beliefs about life after death and yet I share that desire to still hang around.

I've always said that I want to be just like Hob Gadling and refuse to die...just keep on living experiencing life. Lazarus Long is a similar fictionalized character who I read with envy...there's something very human, and probably very selfish, in the desire to want to live forever!

Mysfit, that is one very thought provoking photograph (piano)...I see a story in there somewhere.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn swam up to say...

Great post, great pictures, and Ghost in the Shell is a kickass movie.

I think I lean towards the Eastern ideas. To look at it from a scientific viewpoint, think about the concept in physics that energy can be neither created nor destroyed. There is some sort of energy behind the life force, so that energy has to go somewhere. Just a thought.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Jay swam up to say...

The title just totally cracked me up.

11:03 AM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

In some ways, skrambled, i totally agree with you, but i thought chaos theory held that the total energy in the word does not change, but individual instances are constantly popping in and out of existence.

12:50 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

jennsee, i will aspire to get you a picture of the yello lilacs which adorn my office front door.

thanks jay, that's the memory of a goldfish for you...

12:51 PM  
Blogger oldben swam up to say...

carl, man, i dunno about that living forever jazz. it might be fun for a cetury or so, but after a while i think i might just wish for death, knowing that i'd have to watch everyone i know die. it'd all get depressing and boring (the whole arwen/aragorn argument). reincarnation and transmigration, swell. heaven/hell, don't really buy it. snuffed out in a puff of smoke, probable, and not so scary as it is at first glance. plus it's a great justification for hedonism. more wine, please.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

That's why I liked the Hob Gadling character in Sandman...we see him go through the entire emotional rollercoaster because he won't die. In the end he seems contented.

I don't know, if the option was there I think I'd go ahead and give it a try!

4:13 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

and pass the wine, please!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn swam up to say...

Chaos theory makes my brain hurt. I think it could be used to prove or refute my postulation, but I guess that's the nature of the beast.

5:28 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

probably depends on what kind of wine you're drinking and on what given day - that's really the nature of chaos theory

it also depends if what you're drinking is actually whiskey and you only think it's wine

6:48 PM  
Blogger banzai cat swam up to say...

Good lord! Soused in wine AND immortal? It makes my head hurt just thinking about the hangover.

... Funny enough, when I saw the Sandman quote, I immediately thought of the last scene in "The Funeral." (Or was that "The Wake"?)

Strange forebodings, really.

3:40 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

The book is called "The Wake" and it is a widely known fact that immortals don't have hangovers...

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home