Friday, October 21, 2005

reality, dreams, and the Mirrormask - sometimes i love my fish

last night, i stood on the precipice of an independent theater and looked down.

after pre-purchasing tickets to an empty theater i realized that my sense of reality was proportionally skewed but i was quickly informed that it's because i'm silly, so there you go. it's amazing how the little things get out from beneath your fingertips to slip like fish down streets of the imagination - luckily i grasped this experience by the tail (def:the last showing on the last night) with blue-sparkly nails didn't let go. go on - follow my fish

i want to draw like Helena.

Helena Helena Helena

and the film dragged me back to my childhood - to hiding in the attic of school reading a book that was writing itself about me... about me... about - oh wait that wasn't me - that was the Neverending Story...

and like the Neverending Story and Labyrinth- I want to take the characters home with me. Helena and Valentine (and his tower) have joined Atreyu and the Goblin King (as played by David Bowie) beneath my bed where they dialogue with dragons - (oh wow was the dialogue sharp in this film (cue sexy brogue): "I'm a very important man - I've got a tower"--- :) ---"I don't know where I am" "You're in another one of those things to avoid in life" "What's that?" "Trouble") - and keep me up all night with their music.

did i mention the soundtrack yet? the creepiest rendition of "close to you" ever and the rest: fan-tas-tic!

needless to say at this point - i loved Mirrormask - loved that the art of film is not dead, that the story was told through style, in words and good acting of virtually unnamed actors, love that i got to see it in an old, mostly run down place called the Chez Artiste and i loved the company...

enough said about real-life, now back to your dreams dear fishies

4 little fish:

Anonymous Anonymous swam up to say...

I'm also jealous. I'm so glad you loved the film. I along with Carl hope it makes its way to Kansas City sometime soon.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

I believe that anonymous comment is none other than Jeff Smith!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

I FINALLY got to see Mirrormask, as evidenced by the long-ass entry I posted today. Great stuff. So glad I've finally gotten to see it...3 times already! *blushes*

Appreciate your review and sentiments even more now that I've joined the collective consciousness of those who love Mirrormask.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

I imagine from my brief post you really don't get a good idea of what I think of the film! ;)

I thought of you and Mysfit immediately when I saw the fish floating around and again during the seen where she looks at her drawings and sees the fish on the street leading to her destination...following her fish indeed!

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home