Tuesday, February 14, 2006

happy f***ing VD


why do i hate this wonderful day of love and kisses?

is it because i don't have a romantic bone in my body? no.

is it because i'm all alone on this day set aside to celebrate that we cling to each other to get through life? no.

is it because i've never had anyone do something nice for me on this day for people to do something nice for someone special? no.

it is because i don't feel special? no.

i have long been in a battle against valentine's day but i can't fault other people for their desire to participate in this highly successful consumeristic attempt to make a good deal of people very depressed and make the rest of us spend our money on something - anything - or else... as a co-worker put it, "i'm not into this whole romantic thing, i just like the candy."

here's my advice: if you feel obligated to do something nice for your sweetheart, you should do it the day or a week before or even the day after valentine's day (though if your sweetheart buys into this shit, this may not be such a good idea - you wouldn't want to give the indication that you forgot or waited for after-holiday sales, would you?). a dozen roses given on any other day would mean a little more than anything given on this day. and fuck roses - find out her favorite flower and give her a bunch of those. oh yeah, and fuck hallmark.

granted, my war is ultimately fruitless and like last year, sometimes my protests fall flat on their face - but at least i try. and it's not like i'll disdain from appreciating gifts on this day, but i just would rather receive them on any other day - is that so bad?

i'm sure hamlet appreciates that i expect nothing from him, will not be disappointed if we do nothing and would rather eat fast food than fancy feast today. and i am not alone.

thanks to carl v. for leading my fish to the anti-valentine's cards shown with this post.

however, in my quest to despoil this "holiday", to come up with something unromantic and anti-vd to do, i have realized that perhaps ignoring the day altogether would be, if less fun, than at least more effective.

perhaps i hate valentine's day because i am a hopeful romantic: i want to believe that romance is more than obligation; that people, on the whole, do nice things for their sweethearts because they want to; and that they don't need a reminder. i want to believe things i know to be false. so? i'm still not a hopeless romantic.

perhaps i hate valentine's day because i don't want to be reminded that we take each other for granted. i never said that i wasn't idealistic.

the hopeless romantic.
i have never understood this description. helpless - maybe. hapless - definitely. but hopeless? it's impossible to remain a romantic for long without hope.

so whatever you decide to do - try not to let a little thing like VD get you down and remember:

8 little fish:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

I understand your war against this commercialized holiday but frankly they all are commercialized so I don't let that get me down. Any excuse to eat a little more candy is a good one.

Now I refuse to buy flowers on Valentine's Day because the price is outrageous and in that way Mary and I fight the whole commercial thing.

Again I think its more fun for the kids anyway but I don't mind having a reminder soon after Christmas that I need to step back, evaluate, and see if I have been doing that extra special something for my better half.

I always considered the word "hopeless" in hopeless romantic to mean that no matter how much life, others, etc. try to sway you it is hopeless, you'll always be the romantic sort and the world be damned!

Glad you liked the site, those anti-vd cards have cracked me up for 3 years running now!

1:55 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

yes jenn, you are a lucky one - no denying that - and you better soak it up (i miss tuesday gifts)

carl v. - as always, you have brought up an alternative way for me to view something - thank you.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous swam up to say...

oh! you shouldn't have!
happy tuesday!
*blubbering*
thank you!

;o) where do i sign up?
ghostie alix

5:35 PM  
Blogger JP swam up to say...

Did you know that it all started with a passage in Chaucer which described this as the time of the year when birds go a-courting? Always knew it was for birdbrains! :)

12:16 AM  
Blogger JP swam up to say...

'try not to let a little thing like VD get you down'

This would make a great motivational poster for syphilis sufferers! :)

Sorry, just being silly.

12:18 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

If it isn't the birds getting us into trouble its the bees!

I got a few 'looks' when I told people that I was working on Valentine's Day!

Happy Wednesday!

8:19 AM  
Blogger banzai cat swam up to say...

I suppose my SO and I've never taken VD seriously because the next day is our month-sary. :-)

And VD here means traffic all over the city so it's usually better to just stay at home (hers, in this case). :-P

But I still give her a flower-- you know, just for form's sake. ;-)

11:17 PM  
Blogger phylos swam up to say...

For the first VD day in years I'm actually in love and went as far as sending a card and making a very long distance phonecall.
Has my street cred been blown? I'm happy, so sue me!!

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home