Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Turtle Tuesday and other things you find around the house

Well, I'd like to thank all you little fishes for bearing the brunt of my outbursts - I will aspire to continue with my chin up, my feet on the ground, my nose to the grindstone and other such cheerful daffodils... in the meantime, maybe you could help me with some dream(imagery) images.

First and foremost, I find it insufferably apropos to wake with Dali on the brain and melting clocks following me all the way to the bus and into work. So now I bring them to you to dance merrily in your head for the rest of the day:


This painting called the Persistence of Memory has significant meaning for me, especially at the advent or cessation of sleep and dreaming.

There was a creature in my dream last night - I'm pretty sure I was sitting on its back while it flew over the city (I think it was taking me to Jersey for some reason) - and when I woke up I couldn't remember the name of the creature.

I found it though - I was riding a Manticore. Yay Internet!

This Huge mythical beast was a lion-like creature with the head (or just ears and nose) of a human, leather wings like those of a bat and the tail of a scorpion (though sometimes it is depicted with a tail that either shoots fire or spines). Here's a few examples:
This is an early drawing of the manticore - notice the tail and the head.

This is an artist's rendition of a greek manticore by Red Scharlach.

More often though, the modern age has changed the manticore as it has changed the unicorn and many other mythological creatures. Often the human features are dropped (perhaps because that's too disturbing, or just not aesthetically pleasing). This last image from The Last Unicorn movie, which has been referred to elsewhere in this blog.


My #1 result for the SelectSmart.com selector, Which Last Unicorn character are you?, is Molly Grue.

Ok, so I seemed to have gotten off on a tangent. I'm not sure what the manticore in my dream could mean, except possibility that I've been playing too many video games.

I promised turtles in the title of this post so turtles ye shall have: check out the catch of the day, but as for the rest of the title - I never promised to be a sequitur.



4 little fish:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

Hope you were riding the greek manticore, the other is pretty hideous!

I've always liked Dali's melting clocks...don't really know why. I think mostly because they are often pocket-watches which I think are the ultimate cool!

Keep bursting out, we can manage it!

7:50 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

gatsby, there's good eating on those things - but no! where would you get such a silly idea?

Carl, thanks, I love pocket-watches too (burst, burst burst)

10:22 AM  
Blogger oldben swam up to say...

tutles may be tasty, but i've never had one myself. steinbeck tells me that you really have to know how to catch, clean, and cook it, tho, otherwise it's terrible. you can read it for yourself in the log from the sea of cortez.

4:13 PM  
Blogger oldben swam up to say...

i'm prince lir, btw...

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home