Wednesday, April 27, 2005

may the fish be with you

so what if i missed the original theatrical release by just over a year? star wars has lived in my soul for just about as long as i've been alive. i used to make the neighbor-girl be princess leia and sit under a table in her cell while i ran around the house shooting storm troopers. she was a sport and played along like any five year old with an imagination would. my x-wing's s-foils were juryrigged open with twelve-cord (which my father had in abundance and also provided the ziplines for my gi joes, the pliable bastards) because i'd put it through the trench run so many times that, nevermind the force, luke just had the law of averages against him.
it was a yahoo article giving me happy news during these dark times. a 3-d animated expansion on the clone wars, which is the best bit of star wars to come out since empire in 1980, and a live action tv series which i was a little apprehensive about upon first reading. what made me excited about it was reading that lucas plans to just get the bowl rolling and then step away. it will focus on the events between revenge and a new hope. to top it off, there are plans to release all six movies in '07 on imax. that kinda makes me tingle.
revenge of the sith is less than a month away and i'm getting the itch. i haven't had a trilogy day for 5 years. episode's 1 & 2 made me put star wars down for a while. there's a cool kind of anticipation just chillin in side of me cos it knows what i know. that this final movie is really going to kick ass.
when all is said and done, i think that 3-4-5 will be looked at as the core part of it. the rest is just exposition and resolution.


Obi-Wan, my Numbah One


the close second


lando calrissian, the baddest mofo in the galaxy.

i could go on, but the only other character i'd like to touch upon is han solo, and his unfortunate emasculation. it's bad enough that the badass smuggler we all knew and loved had turned into leia's bitch by the time jedi rolled around, but the special edition of a new hope just killed me. han shot first because he got the drop on greedo, the rodian bastard. he was a bloody pirate, and that's what pirates do. bad form, mr. lucas. the only other gripe i've got with the special editions comes from empire, and that's luke's enhanced scream as he falls through the bowels of cloud city. my response to the original - wow, luke would rather risk almost certain death than join vader. response to the special edition - oh look, luke slipped and now he screaming like a pansy. huge difference.

and finally, just cos it's the coolest Corellian freighter in the universe


the millenium falcon

9 little fish:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

Great post! I bought my tickets tonight online to go to the midnight showing here at my local theatre. This time my wife and I are taking our daughter and my comic book guy Jeff is coming along as well. I'm really looking forward to the waiting in line with anticipation building!

I agree whole-heartedly with your Han Solo sentiments. Han is still my favorite of all sci-fi/fantasy characters ever created and I have to pretend that Lucas didn't screw that up by making him a pansy. That first shot was one of the greatest moments in all of the Star Wars films. And the Falcon is still the coolest ship ever to fly the science fiction universe!

2:17 AM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

Han is great and all but I can't believe you would leave my favorite character out of the mix (even though he gets a cheep pathetic death that he didn't deserve) - come on, old pal, give some time to my friend and yours, Boba Fett.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

Boba Fett is a close second in the Star Wars universe in my book! I just posted about this a few weeks ago after I met the "real" Boba Fett at a local comics convention!

12:45 PM  
Blogger oldben swam up to say...

boba's cool and all, but that ignominious end?

7:50 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

Ah...but true believers (read "geeks") know that Boba Fett didn't actually die in the Sarlaac pit but later escaped and lived on....

:)

3:18 AM  
Blogger oldben swam up to say...

bah, that's all apocryphal. are you insinuating that i am not a true believer? must i defend my geekdom? books don't count, buddy! and besides, the only books worth reading are the zahn trilogy. if i recall correctly, the last we even get of boba in the books is a short story in tales of the bounty hunters and he and han are going through a midlife crisis, chasing eachother around a warehouse. i think boba pops his hip or something cos he's so old. he should've stayed in the pit. you could try to go toe to toe with me on star wars, but ask jenn see about my capacity on this subject.

hope i die before i get old...

1:31 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

I haven't read ANY of the post ROTJ books except the Zahn ones...I agree that the rest are probably crap. All I'm saying is that Lucas blew it with the lame-ass Fett death and I applaud the fans who decided to refuse to let a potentially great character die.

I'm refusing to believe that Chewie is dead!!! :)

And I meant Boba Fett's 'true believers!'...I meant some at the recent local comic convention talking with Jeremy Bulloch...they is some scary peoplessssss...don't let em' corner you! :)

I'd never dream of going toe-to-toe...I have a working relationship with the universe and love the movies but I've always spread my geekness out among many domains and am thus not a person to have on your Star Wars Trivial Pursuit team!

5:08 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

I'll be really curious to hear your thoughts, OB, on Revenge after you see it!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

'met' that is, not 'meant'...need to learn to reread my typing and type s-l-o-w-e-r.

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home