Friday, May 27, 2005

the ranting fish has a big mouth

So jennsee ranted and raved a bit at everything the other day and today i feel like saying f--k the f--king world - maybe the stars are out of whack or something.

First and foremost, I've recently decided that the government has no business taking away my right to choose to wear a seatbelt or not. They are really cracking down on this now with a "click it or ticket" campaign - catchy, no? Now they can pull you over for no other reason than you weren't wearing your seat-belt. At first, I thought the seat-belt law was a good idea as it does in fact, save lives and of course, you should buckle up your kids. Well and great, but this is a law which tells the individual to do something which good for the individual (and this is the important part) in regards to his/herself alone or else pay the fine. There are many things I could and probably should choose to do that would be good, not for the society I live in nor for myself in regards to the society I live in, but for myself alone - but it's not for the government to decide these things for me. My wearing a seat-belt effects no one's safety but my own and my car is my private vehicle (or would be if I owned one) - next they will ticket me for not tying my shoes or wearing a coat in cold weather.

In this country our government is supposed to speak with the collective voice of the people, this is true and apparently the collective voice of the people are crying out to have their personal decisions made for them - sad really. This may seem a trite complaint on a good idea, but I think this sets a dangerous precedent. I see this as an attempt on the part of the government to save me from myself and I challenge anyone to come up with another law which forces the individual to make a good decision which directly or could directly affect no one but the individual him/herself. I've been wracking my brains and cannot think of one.

Sixteenthly, I am so worn out by the feeling of being manipulated by the media, by the government, that I'd like to file for Societal Member's Comp. Like Worker's Comp, this new program will compensate people for injuries taken as a direct result of living within society. SMC comes with a life supply of "I-Really-Care" pills and "I-Don't-Care" pills as well as an instruction booklet detailing how and when to use the pills. Currently, "I-Really-Care" pills come in two flavors: 'surprisingly-like-peanut-butter-M&M's' and 'wow-I-could-swear-these-are-Mike&Ikes'. The SMC scientists are expected to come out with a new flavor of "I-Don't-Care" pills by the end of the month - currently they are only available in 'mmm-Sour-Patch-Kids-like'.
To help justify my case for the SMC, I plan to submit conversation parts A, B, and C. Please view, as you too may qualify to receive Societal Member's Comp.

The last thing I was going to rant about today was Star Wars and George Lucas in an attempt to expunge from myself the disgust at a man who has that much money and that kind of a franchise and yet still cannot hire good script-writers or main characters who can act. But I'm so sick of it all, (like jennsee says it's everywhere, so much so that I don't even feel the need to link this), that all I have to say is I guess some stories are more powerful than the storyteller.

17 little fish:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

I used to be annoyed by the seatbelt thing but now I realize that its a good thing. There are several people who only put it on because its a law and several who live today because of that. Plus the flaw in your logic of 'it only hurts me' is that, like it or not, we don't live on an island and you personally have influence over other people in your life. If not now, then in the future, there will be children who look up to you and will copy you and the subtle but obvious message is that if you don't do it, why should they. Besides, insurance companies look for any excuse to raise their rates so each seat belt related death causes me to have less money for important things like peanut M&M's and Mt. Dew!

And, although its okay to be disappointed with the latest episode of SW, I still hold to the opinion that its quite an enjoyable flick. You should read this review for an unabashed SW fanatics perspective...I enjoyed it:

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=20157

Hope all you fish followers have a much more sunny Memorial Day weekend! ;)

3:17 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

Having tinted windows and being out late is another sure-fire way to get yourself pulled over for no good reason.

2:52 AM  
Blogger oldben swam up to say...

seat belts are good. cigarettes are bad. everyone's out to make a buck.

and i still like most of the things i liked when i was 5.

1:55 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

carl, i never said it only hurts me, i said i am the only one who is directly affected. And I am not arguing that seatbelts are bad or should not be used, quite the contrary - i always wear my seatbelt for a number of reasons - none of which are because there is a law. I am arguing that this is not a choice for the governemnt to make and leftsock, it is ridiculous to have to pay that ticket.

oldben, you sound so bored - would you smile for me?

tesco, that is a good f--king point - what about the lives that were saved by not wearing a seat-belt? i'vevheard of that before, it does happen.

2:21 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

Oldben...I agree, I still like most of the things I liked when I was 5 also...or 8 in the case of Star Wars...

I agree with your points on some level Mysfit, but by and large people wouldn't wear seatbelts if there wasn't a risk of a fine. Sure, there are some people whose lives are saved by not wearing seatbelts but by and large that isn't the case. And as much as we'd like to be cynical about it by and large we are the government..if these last few elections haven't taught people how much their vote counts and how much their individual voice is part of the decisions made by "government" then we have learned nothing at all.

And believe me...I occasionally don't wear my seatbelt and I too would be pissed if a police officer pulled me over and ticketed me for it. I'd rant too and say the same things so I understand!

11:55 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

But then again, what the hell do I know? :)

2:00 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

and....what happened to 'catch o' the day'? Have we not been fishing lately?

10:23 AM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

carl, i get quite cynical about the government and politics - it's part of the reason that i keep it out of my life as much as possible and deal with society on a social scale...

as for catch since, i haven't had time to make catch of the day better, i've been lazy about updating it. i'll try to do better, sry

12:18 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

I try to stay out of the politics as well....hate 'em with a passion as a matter of fact! Unfortunately they effect my work situation and I have to deal with them there, but other than that I run for the hills generally rather than deal with political discussions.

And yes, Suess is a good fish fill-in for now!

9:19 AM  
Blogger phylos swam up to say...

They passed the same law here years ago. Our catchy buzz phrase was "clunk, click every trip". My seatbelt doesn't go clunk but it does click a little.
And on a similar line they made helemts mandatory for motor bikes. That didn't go down at all well.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

I think the 'clunk' was the sound of the head hitting the windshield...

9:47 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

i'm surprised that noone's commented on the pills...

11:04 AM  
Blogger phylos swam up to say...

OK then rock n roll nurse errr the sweets are more interesting actually - Mike&Ikes wtf!!, we're sadly lacking in our choice of sugary highs over here in england..
but weed's all but legal so it's swings and roundabouts

2:06 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

ah - i guess i should be more worldly conscious... perhaps the English variety would taste of shortbread cookies?

1:12 PM  
Blogger phylos swam up to say...

and chips (fries)

2:24 PM  
Blogger banzai cat swam up to say...

Hehe I can actually empathize with the seatbelts thing since when the law was implemented here in the Philippines, I was one of the few caught. At that time, I hadn't gotten the habit of putting it on before driving. However, nowadays, it doesn't bother me.

I suppose that as governments go, ours is pretty too corrupt to become dictatorial on what you should or should not do. But that's not much of a consolation.

As for Star Wars and happy pills, I kinda gathered they're opposite ends of the pole? Personally, I prefer strawberry puffs. Yum! ;-)

5:09 AM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

but cat, would the strawberry puffs be a good flavor for the "I-Really-Care" pills or the "I-don't-care" pills?

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home