Tuesday, May 31, 2005

mysfit's adventure at the San Francisco Zoo


the only elephant

so i'm not quite sure about a zoo without elephants or camels, but there you have it. i went to the san Francisco zoo this weekend and since i was visiting my folks, i got to play with my mom's digital camera. hopefully, jennsee will not be angry with me for inundating the tourist with photos. the best part of my adventure was seeing the snow leopards - these wondrous big cats you must imagine in you mind - their long tails and spotted fur like snow - for they refused to be photogenic in the california sun. though, we lucked out with timing for just as we reached their cages a zoo-keeper consented to wake these lazy beasts.

10 little fish:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

At first I thought your "adventure" maybe involved bronzing that baby elephant!!!

I can't believe the SF zoo has no heffalumps, quite unbelievable. I smell a woozle.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Jay swam up to say...

That lion looks quite stately. And the elephant's kinda cute, but jeez, I'd be miffed if I paid to see it!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson swam up to say...

It all sounds vaguely familiar, Jenn See.

1:18 PM  
Blogger phylos swam up to say...

"Zoos are prisons for animals"

Frumpy the Clown.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Skrambled Egghead Reborn swam up to say...

I just checked out the Tourist. Awesome pictures. Sorry there were no pachyderms or camels, but at least there was a polar bear. Were there any monkeys? Chimps are my favorites.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Daniel Heath swam up to say...

If you're still in town, Mysfit, I recommend a trip across the bay to the Oakland zoo. It's a damn sight better than the SF zoo... more monkeys, for one thing, including cotton top tamarins which are just incredibly hilarious creatures in almost every respect. Oh, and meerkats. You can't beat meercats for a fun-filled afternoon out. Last time I was there the lioness was trying to catch the ducks in the pond... it wasn't working out too well but she was having a good time.

5:15 PM  
Blogger LiVEwiRe swam up to say...

Great pics... and the snow leopards must have been magnificent.

7:58 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

no idea jennsee

carl, what makes you think it didn't? both the adventure and bronzing as well as heffalumps. ok, there were no heffalumps - but I swear that I saw a poppel

skrambled, the pictures of the chimps didn't come out - two of them were sitting waiting for me to prepare my shot and as soon as i did they both turned their butts on me and walked away - lame...

monkey, no i was only out in Cali for two days - i like meercats

phylos, as for zoos being prisons for animals, I also thought that way for many years. you should read a book call The Life of Pi. Perhaps I'll post a review on the fish - it's a really good book. It made think about Zoos, among other things, in a different way. I'm still not totally for zoos but i can appreciate them better - esp. because they help conserve endangered species as well as educating the public.

livewire, thanks - they were, always are :)

11:34 AM  
Blogger phylos swam up to say...

Hi Mys - it was a flippant quote from Frumpy, my clown hero.
I'm part way through David Brin's Earth which has altered my view of zoos as well. Pi is on my list, my ever growing list of books to read...

2:02 PM  
Blogger mysfit swam up to say...

i'm actually really glad that i read the Life of Pi before i went to the zoo

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home